Is there an outstanding desktop support technician in your organization that you feel deserves recognition for their commitment, dedication, and service to your customers? Does the desktop support technician sitting next to you provide you with outstanding support, or does someone you know provide the type of deskside support that sets an example for others to follow? Does someone on your team consistently go above and beyond the call of duty? Here’s your opportunity to see them recognized for their efforts!
In cooperation with the HDI local chapters, each year HDI honors the industry’s top desktop support technician at the local, regional, and national level. This process recognizes desktop support professionals who demonstrate extraordinary commitment, dedication, technical aptitude, and service to customers while consistently exceeding performance objectives.
This award is sponsored at the national level by Robert Half Technology. With Robert Half Technology as HDI’s premier award sponsor, HDI is able to provide complimentary registration to the HDI Annual Conference & Expo for all regional level winners.
Information and Guidelines
This award is intended to recognize support professionals who respond to incidents related to customer equipment that are escalated by the service desk; additional skills, knowledge, tools, or authority are required. These individuals resolve incidents remotely, at the user’s desk, or via equipment returns. They must spend more than 50 percent of the working day providing technical support via one or more of the following channels: phone, web (i.e., online forms), email, or chat. They are the “face of support,” as they generally deal with clients and customers one-on-one. The ideal nominee is well rounded, possessing technical aptitude, team orientation skills, leadership qualities, customer service skills, people skills, and a positive attitude. They recognize and demonstrate the importance of sharing knowledge with their coworkers to develop problem-solving techniques that can be utilized by all team members.
Nominations may be made by managers, peers, customers or support personnel. All nominations must be approved by the department manager, and limited to two nominations per company site per local chapter area.
The included rules are structured guidelines to create consistency across all HDI local chapters. These structured guidelines are followed by all HDI local chapters to ensure a consistent process is followed throughout the community in order to select the best Desktop Support Technician of the Year throughout the network to represent the industry.
If you have any questions about the nomination process or guidelines, please contact your local chapter. If you do not know how to contact your local chapter, you can find them in the local chapter directory. You can also contact HDI directly at 800-248-5667 or at [email protected] to learn more.
- By submitting a completed application, applicants grant HDI the right to publish the full application or any portion thereof as a means of sharing the applicant’s story with the industry (upon applicant’s final approval). Case studies based on the national finalists’ applications will be published to share experiences and successes of leading professionals.
- The nominee must be or have been working as a desktop support technician (in some organizations, this function is referred to as field services, deskside support, or deskside services), with at least 50 percent of their daily tasks related directly to desktop support, for a minimum of nine of the past twelve months. The nominee does not need to currently occupy a desktop support role.
- This award is not intended for supervisors or team leads; the nominee must provide actual desktop support. (Note: HDI defines desktop support as the function primarily responsible for responding to tickets [incidents, questions, and service requests] that relate to hardware, software, and applications used directly by end users. This function is also responsible for the management of assets assigned to end users and projects related to deployment, movement, additions, or changes [DMAC].)
- The nominee must possess a minimum of nine of the past twelve months experience within the desktop support technician role, although nominee does not need to currently hold this title..
- The nominee must provide actual desk side support. This award is not for supervisors, as it is focused on the person delivering the services.
- Any previous year National winner in this competition is not eligible.
Please consider nominating someone you know for this award. Nominations may be made by managers, peers, or customers. All nominations must be approved by the department manager, and each company may submit a maximum of two nominations per local chapter area.
Submissions must be received by your HDI local chapter by October 31. Find your HDI local chapter through the HDI local chapter directory. If your area does not have a local chapter, submit your nominations through the HDI vChapter (the HDI virtual local chapter).
You can also contact HDI directly at 800-248-5667 or at [email protected].
Nominees are first evaluated at the local chapter level. Nominees are judged based on the quality and completeness of their applications and the quality of the answers to the written questions. The winner from each individual local chapter competes with their peers in a personal interview at the regional level, with the winners chosen by the regional directors or a committee acting on their behalf. Each regional winner then has the opportunity to represent their respective region in the national competition with a personal interview at the HDI Annual Conference & Expo.
Key selection criteria
- Customer Service
- Prioritization and Business awareness
- Resourcefulness and creativity
- Technical aptitude and knowledge
National Finalist and Winner Recognition
All national finalists receive a framed certificate acknowledging their achievement, to be presented during the final interview at the HDI Annual Conference & Expo. During the HDI Annual Conference & Expo, finalists will also be given a special ribbon for their conference badge that identifies them as award finalists, and they will be invited to the VIP reception and the HDI Local Chapter Officer Meeting, where they will be recognized for their achievements.
The finalists will be recognized and the winner announced during one of the general sessions at the HDI Annual Conference & Expo. The winner will receive a crystal award engraved with their name and the year.
Each nominator is required to submit written responses as outlined on the nomination form. For additional instructions or questions, contact your local chapter or HDI at 800.248.5667 or [email protected].
Your application, which could become a case study if your nominee is a national finalist, must contain the following information. Answer each question, in the order provided, with clear, concise, and thorough responses. Please understand that the quality of the application counts. If any sections are missing or if your application is poorly written, incomplete, confusing, or inaccurate, points will be deducted from your submission. To facilitate the judging process, please list each of the application points with your detailed response and state precisely how your nominee met or exceeded its stated goals and expectations in each of the categories below.
The nominee with the highest score will become the finalist at the local chapter level and will then go on to compete at the regional level. Regional finalists will sit for final interviews at the HDI Annual Conference & Expo for the national competition.
Best of luck to all candidates!