2015 Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award Winner
Jon Hess, PepsiCo
Representing the HDI Orange County local chapter and the Western region
Jon Hess is a senior technical support analyst at PepsiCo. He began his career with PepsiCo as a delivery driver in San Fernando, CA, in 1987; later, he worked as a dispatcher and customer service representative. In 1998, he was given the opportunity to join the IT department as a system administrator managing user accounts and paying IT bills. He quickly moved up in the organization, assuming his current role in 2001, where he has excelled. Jon is a self-taught IT professional, learning his role from others and on-the-job experience. Today, he is considered one of the top TSA’s in the PepsiCo organization.
Jon loves what he does and looks forward to work every day to see what challenge awaits him. He treats his job as if it was his own personal IT support business and views every user as a customer with a goal of 100% satisfaction in mind. The feedback from his customers certainly makes it clear that he is exceeding that goal.
As a Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award nominee, Jon was selected from five finalists, representing five of the HDI local chapter regions.
View videos of the 2015 finalists and award winners.
Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award Application
The Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award was introduced in 2011. Each year, HDI works jointly with the local chapters to identify and recognize the industry’s top desktop support technician. Desktop technicians nominated at the local chapter level have an opportunity to compete with their peers locally, regionally, and globally for this prestigious award.
Each nominator presents to the local chapter a personal business profile of the nominee, including specific attributes that demonstrate the nominee’s understanding of industry standards, commitment to excellent service, and record of consistently exceeding performance objectives.
The winners from each of HDI's five local chapter regions are invited to the HDI Annual Conference & Expo, where the winner of the Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award will be announced. Robert Half Technology, the premier sponsor, provides each regional winner with one conference registration package.
For the Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award deadline, please check with your local chapter, as deadlines vary by group.
Nominate someone for this award
Guidelines and criteria (Word document) for the Desktop Technician of the Year Award
Please use this nomination form (Word document) while working on your nomination. Nominations must be submitted using the online form (button above) unless otherwise determined by your local chapter.
This Year's Award Finalists
Congratulations to the 2015 finalists for the Desktop Support Technician of the Year Award!
- Jon Hess, PepsiCo (national finalist)
- Kenneth Provchy, Wells Fargo Bank
- Matt Dann, The Kemtah Group
- Iris Chan, UC Davis
- Jody Parker, Zions Bancorporation
- Dan Rhine, Purdue University - Agriculture Information Technology (national finalist)
- Jean Malecki, Veolia
- Joyce Yates, Pepsico
- Gabe Heltne, CDI Corporation
- Brian Vanhorn, Columbus State Community College
- Michael Fairchild, ANX
- Adam Imel, Continuum
- Rachel Rumsy, Michigan State University
- Brett Foster, CSG International (national finalist)
- Robert Mokisz, Enterprise Holding
- William Schutt, St. Vrain Valley School District
- Marc Gartner, Compucom
- Tracy Umstead, Wholefoods
- Iazaro Ferdin, Whataburger
- Alex Ferguzon, Abilene Christian University
- Christopher Chagnon, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (national finalist)
- Chris Smith, Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Ariel Samaroo, University of Maryland University College
- Solomon Kleit, TRENDMLS
- Rick Jones, Glatfelter Insurance Group
- Kris Haney, Paychex Inc.
- Dan Ahern, The Hartford
- Barney Bryant, Advance America (national finalist)
- Maurice Jackson, Emory Healthcare
- Greg Morris, Maury Regional Medical Center
- Chris Oneal, TECO Energy
- Profirio Ramirez, Miami Children's Hospital
- James McWatty, Durham County
Past Award Winners
2014 - Ron Remon, Tampa Electric Company
2013 - Scott Robinson, NASCO
2012 - Susan Lawrence, Baker Hughes
For more information on this award or the nomination process, contact Kerri Hanna at 719.955.8127.