In 2008, HDI created the Ron Muns Lifetime Achievement Award to honor HDI's founder and the father of the technical service and support industry. This award, presented during a general session at the HDI Annual Conference & Expo, recognizes the lasting contributions, leadership, enthusiasm, and tireless efforts of industry luminaries who’ve committed themselves to elevating the reputation of the technical service and support profession and improving the industry.
HDI’s panel of judges selects the nominees and uses the following criteria to evaluate their accomplishments in and dedication to the technical service and support industry:
- The candidate has been active in the technical service and support industry for at least ten years.
- The candidate has made noteworthy contributions to the industry, including (but not limited to):
- Providing thought leadership on the industry’s strategy and direction
- Sitting on the boards of industry organizations
- Speaking at industry events
- Providing industry mentorship and leadership
- Contributing to industry education and training and the optimization of certification programs
- Contributing timely content to industry publications
- Providing input on or helping develop industry research
- Influencing industry best practices, standards, or frameworks
- Authoring books for the industry
- Serving as a subject matter expert for the technical service and support industry
- The candidate has demonstrated dedication to his or her own professional growth and the growth and success of the industry as a whole.