In 2008, HDI created the Ron Muns Lifetime Achievement Award to honor HDI's founder and the father of the technical service and support industry. This award, presented during a general session at the HDI Annual Conference & Expo, recognizes the lasting contributions, leadership, enthusiasm, and tireless efforts of industry luminaries who’ve committed themselves to elevating the reputation of the technical service and support profession and improving the industry.
- 2015: John Custy (video of the 2015 award ceremony)
- 2014: Jeffrey Rumburg (video of the 2014 award ceremony)
- 2013: Greg Oxton (video of the 2013 award ceremony)
- 2012: George Spalding
- 2011: Katherine Spencer Lee
- 2010: Char LaBounty
- 2009: Malcolm Fry
- 2008: Ron Muns
HDI’s panel of judges selects the nominees and uses the following criteria to evaluate their accomplishments in and dedication to the technical service and support industry:
- The candidate has been active in the technical service and support industry for at least ten years.
- The candidate has made noteworthy contributions to the industry, including (but not limited to):
- Providing thought leadership on the industry’s strategy and direction
- Sitting on the boards of industry organizations
- Speaking at industry events
- Providing industry mentorship and leadership
- Contributing to industry education and training and the optimization of certification programs
- Contributing timely content to industry publications
- Providing input on or helping develop industry research
- Influencing industry best practices, standards, or frameworks
- Authoring books for the industry
- Serving as a subject matter expert for the technical service and support industry
- The candidate has demonstrated dedication to his or her own professional growth and the growth and success of the industry as a whole.